Tuesday 9 June 2015

I am already the older woman I will become

Days like today seem long but I know they are fleeting. I am already the older woman who looks back on these days in amazement.

I have forgotten the pain of childbirth, I have forgotten the anxiety of being sixteen and I will forget the bone aching tiredness of today.

I am already the old woman who is thrilled by the energy and vitality I have. Who looks back at photographs and sees invisible details. The bracelet on the wrist that holds the baby, the vase just out of shot. These are the details that will help me place the memories of these days.

But the memories of these days are already who I am. As we play hide and seek between the sheets drying on the line. As I'm handed a daisy from our overgrown front lawn. As I hear babies laughter mixed with birdsong and a lawnmower in the distance.

These are old memories. They are clichéd. Sometimes I can't remember if they're mine or if I saw them in a film.

These days are already my favourite days. And I am already the older woman I will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment