Thursday 25 June 2015

Effective Communication

I'm still trying to think of some comedic nomenclature for my husband, as seems de rigueur for a Mummy-type blogger.  I've yet to come up with one I like. "DH"/ "The Mr"/ "Him Indoors".....

Let's maybe just call him Barry.

Barry is the MOST AMAZING fella in the Universe (according to me - according to others he's ridiculously loud, a bit funny looking, tight with money, has rank feet and farts too often)

Details of his being amazing include:
- most excellent drinking companion
- physically holding me up to take a post C-Section shower
- skilled washing putter on and sorter outer
- most excellent Daddy who builds dens, drinks fake tea and thinks up cool treats and adventures

Despite this, I am still on a continual mission to "improve him" (which mostly involves buying better pants with no holes in Tesco and reminding him of my friends names) Like many women, I also like to provide helpful suggestions and comments on a fairly continual basis.

Barry is on a continual mission to ignore my advice and do what the f*ck he wants.

We've come to a tacit agreement whereby we ignore the fact that I'm a nag and he still behaves like a teenage boy.

Here is an example of some particularly effective communication:

Me: "Your wee smells like you need to be drinking more water"

Barry: (in head)
"Why were you smelling my wee? I definitely need to start flushing.  Have I got no personal space left?  Why do you care?  YOUR wee smells like you need to drink more water.  I can't wait till I get a shed."

Barry: (aloud) "Yeah, probably"

Me: (in head) "I can't believe that I've become so controlling that I'm commenting on his urine/ hydration cycle.  I'm going to start giving him the space he deserves.  He really is the most amazing man in the world... You know, I don't think he was really paying attention to me then.  I'm pretty sure he was placating me with that comment.  I don't know why I bother.  Don't drink more water then - see if I care. Forget it. I can't wait till he gets a shed."

Me: (aloud) "Okay"

No comments:

Post a Comment