Tuesday 2 December 2014

It's been 6 weeks since my last blog.....

I'm feeling guilty and the need to confess.  I've done no blogging for 6 weeks, which is a very large percentage of the time since I set up this blog in the first place.

My only excuse is that I've been a bit busy with newborn twins. (and a 19 month old, and recovering from a c section, and keeping up to date with housework, and applying for a new job, having an (unsuccessful) interview, spending time with hubby and drinking quite a lot of wine)

But, here I am, the twins are 6 weeks on Tuesday and things are starting to return to normal.  The generally accepted "6 week post-partum" phase really holds true - it takes that long for you to heal and the babies to get used to being in the world, and then suddenly, the "new baby" cards stop arriving, people start expecting a lot more of you, the babies get through the brutal 6 week growth spurt, and here you are - the babies aren't newborn anymore and you've got no more excuses for not blogging.  Pah.

I've been wracking my brains for some ideas of blog content in the last week as the non-blogging guilt has been mounting.  I'm still not entirely sure of what kind of blog this is going to be.  Work related?  Humourous? Factual, advice based?

Things I have learnt in the last 6 weeks (that maybe I knew before and have forgotten since the last newborn episode)

1. Poo gets worse

When you have your first baby, you are horrified by all the poo.  After you have changed a toddler's pooey nappy, newborn poo is nothing.  It's practically pleasant.  You could smear a breastfed newborn's poo on your face and not notice compared to a speck of toddler poo - which is basically a smaller quantity of grown up poo, and they insist on serving things like chickpea curry at nursey.  In the words of Z, "blurgh"

2. Sleep deprivation gets easier

Whe you have your first baby, you are horrified by the lack of sleep and totally shocked by the pace.  With your second baby (or in our case babies), you are chuffed every time you get 2 hours uninterrupted sleep.

3. Breastfeeding is hard work

I'm currently managing to successfully breastfeed twins - and that's pretty much all I do.  I watch a lot of shows on Netflix.  And people bring me tea, and I sit very still and feed.  I now realise why I was unsuccessful in feeding Z - I actually left the house, and saw people, and went places, and had fun.  That said, I've nearly lost my pregnancy weight 6 weeks in, and it took me a year to shift after Z, so the boredom has it's pros.  And if you can lose half a stone in 6 weeks by sitting on your bum watching telly it can't be all bad.

4. Receovering from a c section sucks

Everyone's experience is different, but having had a normal delivery with Z and a section for the twins, I would definitely not choose a section.  The recovery for me has been pretty brutal, not least because I've been unable to lift my toddler and I miss him. That's the hardest part of this whole thing.

6. Emotions run wild

There's only been a few occasions so far when we're ALL crying, but the 'baby bike's are certainly harder to deal with with twins, and with a toddler who has decided he hates you. The more standoffish he is, the more needy I become. The less he likes me - and repeat. On the other hand, the babies are delicious, it's nearly Christmas, we have a beautiful family and I'm off to Space NK to treat myself to any product that can make me look less grey. There are ups and downs.

So I'm not sure what kind of blog this is, but I'll keep going and find out later. Perhaps when I'm getting more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment