Thursday 19 March 2015

Feeling Empowered to Call My Babies Dicks

This lady, Eeh Bah Mum is an amazing, hilarious blogger who I have followed since I was pregnant with my first baby and I was sent a link to one of her posts.

She's recently been criticised by another Mummy blogger, for amongst other things, calling her son a Dick.

There's been a bit of Mummy blogger backlash and Eeh Bah Mum has written a response - so there's not really anymore to be said about the affair.

Apart from the fact I wanted to say thank you to Eeh Bah Mum for making me feel like it's all really okay.  Children are dicks sometimes - we all are.  Her posts are witty, insightful, crude, cruel, a celebration of the comedy of being a Mummy and a commentary on the situations we've all been in and know so well.  And reading them makes me laugh out loud and feel better about the fact I sometimes leave the babies to cry for a bit while I pluck my eyebrows.

She's been blogging since my first baby was born, and at 3am, when a baby is crying for no reason, I can think "Oh, you're probably just being a dick, that's cool.  Let's hug it out" Eeh Bah Mum said it first and it has empowered me.  And I'm truly grateful.

I've had experiences of fellow Mums online and in real life who have made me feel wonderful and brave and cherished.  And some Mums have made me feel a bit shitty.  And I may have unintentionally made other Mums feel both ways.  Let's face it - if you're a Mum, you're probably a bit weird.  We have so much access and information on all the different styles of parenting, it's easy to raise a (perfectly plucked) brow at what other people are doing.  And we sometimes make a silent comment or judgement on what "other mothers" are doing.  But it is totally not cool to make an out and out criticism.  Not cool at all. 

We're all a little bit of everything.  I'm breastfeeding twins (Mummy plus point) I still drink red wine and coffee and did through both my pregnancies (Mummy negative point) I've always made all the baby food from scratch (Mummy plus point) I use disposable nappies and get through wet wipes like they're going out of fashion (Mummy negative point)

My experience has made me who I am and it's given me the tools to be a parent - sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it horribly wrong.  But websites like Scary Mommy and bloggers like Kirsty (@eehbahmum) make me feel strong and brave and silly and cheerful - and that's probably a good mix for a Mummy.

p.s. Whilst we may want to throw our drinks in other people's faces, nobody actually does it, apart from on EastEnders when they do it all the time.  But even then I've never seen anyone do it to a baby. 



No comments:

Post a Comment